Monday, August 22, 2011

Dolphins at Daybreak

I printed out shark mazes and submarine coloring pages for all of the children to work on at the beginning of the meeting. I found them at http://www.kidzone.ws/imageschanged/sharks/sharkmaze.gif and http://education.usace.army.mil/clubhouse/coloring/sub.jpg.


I summarized the ninth book, Dolphins at Daybreak, and asked the children a variety of questions about the book.

When we arrived at the part in the book where the tree house spun, each child received a Dizzy Pill (which is actually a tootsie roll) to help make them less dizzy. After eating their Dizzy Pills, the children were instructed to spin around three times, as if they were in the spinning tree house.

When we got to the part in the book where Jack wrote in his notebook, I showed the notebook I made that has all of Jack's notes in it.

Next, I passed out a paper plate and 8 strips of construction paper to each child. The children folded the construction paper back and forth, accordian style, and colored a face on the paper plate. I walked around, helping everyone tape the paper strips to their plates. Such a cute craft!

We also made dolphin mosaics with multi-colored squares of construction paper I cut prior to the meeting. The children enjoyed picking the colors for their dolphins and gluing them on.


Finally, we decorated foam visors with markers and ocean-themed foam stickers (dolphins, sharks, fish, shells, seaweed, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment