Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Buffalo Before Breakfast

This week, I summarized the eighteenth book, Buffalo Before Breakfast.

When we arrived at the part in the book where the tree house spun, each child received a Dizzy Pill (which is actually a tootsie roll) to help make them less dizzy. After eating their Dizzy Pills, the children were instructed to spin around three times, as if they were in the spinning tree house.

When we got to the part in the book where Jack wrote in his notebook, I showed the notebook I made that has all of Jack's notes in it.

First, I passed out a picture of a buffalo to each child. I then scattered grass all along the tables. The children glued the grass around the buffalo to represent the prairie, which is described in the book as "an ocean of grass."


In the book, when Jack and Annie saw the buffalo for the first time, we colored our own buffalo. I passed out a color-by-number paper to each child. Each number on the buffalo corresponded to a particular color.


Our final craft was a dream catcher, which was first invented by the Lakota Indians that Jack and Annie met on their adventure. Prior to the meeting, I punched holes all around the paper plates and tied yarn to the holes. At the meeting, the children weaved the yarn through the holes and attached feathers. Everyone's dream catchers looked so cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment